Monday, May 23, 2011

Talk with Dadu (grandpa)

me: give me your blessings
Dadu: you have my blessing, live long and prosper. Lets the energy in you radiate and influence everyone around you
My grandfather is 80yrs old (76yrs officially) and when he was telling me this, I could feel his health slipping away. My grandfather, Wing Commander for the Indian Air Force who also happened to have trained the First Indian who went to space, is lying in his bed, his body aching from doing the most ordinary of things, who and I hate saying it, is nearing the end of a long journey we call life.
I remember talking to him once and I asked him if there was something that he regretted something he did in life, to that he simply said no, and so sceptically I asked why, I did not believe that life can pass without any regrets. He replied, "the decisions that you make in life decide where you are going to end up at, I think I ended up just fine"
Mom want to see him again, before she fears its too late. I do too, but a part of  me doesn't, a part of me want to preserve the memory of that man who would carry me on his shoulder, have me punch and jump on his back, a man filled with energy, a great man. He is the only role model I have ever had and I want him to be around till I have kids but after talking to him today I am afraid that my mother might be right.
The saddest part is, his last wish is that I incinerate his body, I don't know if I can.

No comments: